Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Best Day Ever... unless you have a disability

Josie and I went to the local amusement park today. Their slogan is "Best Day Ever" but that doesn't apply if you have a disability. This is the third time I have been there and had issues with employees not understanding or following the disability policies of the park. I always go to guest relations to clear these issues up on behalf of my daughter and every other family that may have similar issues. So that is 3 visits with 3 disability access issues, 3 apologies from management, and 3 times I have been told the employees are in the wrong and will be retrained. Why does this keep happening?  Were they not trained properly the first time?
I left the park in tears for the second time (didn't cry on one of the 3 visits) with their promises to do better ringing in my ears. I know they don't understand the importance of this in our lives. They don't get that the things she can do are restricted enough already without being further limited by uniformed employees. They don't get that it is a fight and a struggle every day to make her life as unlimited as possible. They don't understand how important that one day at the local amusement park where I can just enjoy my time with my daughter and make happy memories means so much to me.
To their credit, the first day I ever took her about a year ago was wonderful. Everyone was informed and things went smoothly. I spoke glowingly of the experience. I shared pics and left a great online review. We can't seem to get anything even close to that again. Every return visit has had at least minor issues, sometimes major. These are not the sort of memories I want to create nor the experiences I want to have while there or anywhere.
I try to do the right thing. I advocate. I speak up. I hope for better next time. But sometimes I just want to go and have a good time with my daughter. I left that park today feeling physical pain in my chest, literal heartache, for my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment