Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Keto & Seizures, so many ear infections, & preschool prep

Josie has been on the keto diet for almost 2 months for seizures. It took some time and experimenting to get her in ketosis, but we have been there for about 2 weeks. I was pretty excited because Josie went 19 days without having a seizure until a mild one last time. It was over so quick and she didn't cry. I was hoping to eliminate the seizures, but one 5 second seizure in almost 3 weeks isn't bad. Hopefully her epilepsy neurologist will still allow medications weaning to begin.
I feel like Josie has been more alert recently. She had a pretty bad sinus issues last week, lots of mucus coming out her nose and being coughed up. Despite that, she has been pretty alert and even played with a toy. She picked it up and put it down, grasped it and let it go, and moved it around on her tray. This is major for her. She even did it 2 days in a row. Frequently she will demonstrate behavior and then not again. She was also intentionally batting a ball suspended in front of her today at her group therapy center.
We have battled ear infections for much of her little life. She has had tubes placed twice and is set to have it done again in July. Her ears bleed every time she gets an ear infection now. My youngest son got just as many ear infections, but they never bled and they stopped once he had tubes. I am hoping she outgrows it like he did. I remember getting them as a small child and they really hurt. There was blood coming out of her left ear this evening. This is the second time this month. She already had a round of antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops.
We met her teacher late last week. I adored her, and she seemed to adore Josie. I am so nervous about the idea of sending her to preschool in the fall, but everyone I have met during the process so far makes me feel more comfortable with the idea. As long as I can feel sure they can medically handle her, I am leaning towards actually doing it. I have already offered to volunteer at the school so I can be in the building even if I am not in the room with her. She will be in the octopus room! 
Here she is actually playing with the octopus toy I bought her.

No comments:

Post a Comment